Current:Home > MarketsNew York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -FutureFinance
New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 04:27:25
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Biden campaign provided a list of approved questions for 2 radio interviews
- Forest fire has burned 4,000 acres in New Jersey but is now 60 percent contained, officials say
- Hurricane watch issued for Beryl in Texas
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Klay Thompson posts heartfelt message to Bay Area, thanks Warriors
- Costco to pay $2M in class action settlement over flushable wipes: Here's what to know
- John Cena announces his retirement from professional wrestling after 2025 season
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- WWE NXT Heatwave 2024: Time, how to watch, match card and more
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Margot Robbie Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Tom Ackerley
- Small plane with 3 on board makes emergency landing on Nevada highway. No one is hurt
- Survival story as Hurricane Beryl razes smallest inhabited island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Tour de France rider fined for stopping to kiss wife during time trial
- Honeymoon now a 'prison nightmare,' after Hurricane Beryl strands couple in Jamaica
- Honeymoon now a 'prison nightmare,' after Hurricane Beryl strands couple in Jamaica
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Forest fire has burned 4,000 acres in New Jersey but is now 60 percent contained, officials say
Residents in Wisconsin community return home after dam breach leads to evacuations
Off-duty NYPD officer who was among 4 killed when drunk driver crashed into nail salon laid to rest
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
'Sepia Bride' photography goes viral on social media, sparks debate about wedding industry
Off-duty NYPD officer who was among 4 killed when drunk driver crashed into nail salon laid to rest
Driver who plowed through July Fourth crowd in NYC, killing 3 and injuring 8, held without bail